In case anyone else is in the market for a new car, I have a piece of advice that we learned today. DO NOT GO ON HOT DAYS!! Luckily, at 2 of the dealerships, the salesmen were so nice and would start the car and get it cooled down before we got in. But the third (FORD), did NOT. For the second car we drove at the Ford dealership, I told him he could start the car and get it cooled off and get me from the showroom when it was ready to be driven. That was at 2:00 when the temp on the car thermometer said 101 when I got in. Whew! Somehow I don't think we'll buy a Ford from this guy...By the way, NOT ONE of them asked for our contact information. Isn't that amazing!??
So the top two finalist so far are...(drum roll)...Honda Pilot and the Toyota Highlander. The Highlander was just redesigned for 2008 though, and due to the new changes, they will not release the 2009 until August, running the new body style for 14 months. So if we get it (yes, the new body style and features really ARE that much better than the old), we will have to go new unless we want to wait until a month before the baby is due to try to get a deal on a 2008. But if we get the Pilot, they have had the same body style for several years and we can get a slightly used one that will save us some moola. Then, when we got home, Jason got all green on me and said maybe we should look at some cars or station wagons. Oh dear-do we have to go to all these dealerships AGAIN!?! Either way, before we sign on the dotted line, we are going to take a car seat and several bags of sugar or flour to the dealership so I can see what it would be like to get the baby and car seat in and out of the car. Well, anyone owning either the Pilot or Highlander, we are looking for feedback, both good and bad. We welcome comments on this!
PS-To all you minivan owners out there, I KNOW you say I would love a minivan and that I will one day eat my words for saying I don't want or need one. But I have a mental block on admitting that I am at the point in my life that I need a minivan. So, you can happily await the day that I (might) admit you are right. :)
2 comments:
Since I know so much (not being a parent and all)... I know you've been in the market for a new car for a while so you aren't necessarily running out to buy an SUV/mini/station wagon just cause you're expecting, but if you are upgrading (or hurrying up the upgrade) because of this first baby, then I say you have time to wait for the Highlander (assuming that's what you want). I used to think "oooh, which car will I get when we have a child" and then realized my sedan would work just fine. With that said, especially with gas prices these days, my vote has always been station wagon. :-)
Good luck with your search. I don't envy you having to do it in this hot weather. I hope you can find just what you are looking for and that you will be thrilled with it once you have it as YOURS. Enjoy the search! : )
Post a Comment